Saturday, February 4, 2012

January 30, 2012

January 30, 2012 - Week 4 of Transfer 17
I can't believe we are walking into week four of my last transfer! I feel like we will be hugging and sobbing in a blink of the eyes. I am so grateful we have written such great emails to each other because keeping a steady journal has been difficult especially when I served as an assistant. We will have to make some sort of a journal out of these letters. As I was preparing for my talk Sunday morning I was trying to reflect back on my mission for something I could share and its so hard! Just one big blur that has gone so fast. I have been pondering and praying recently about what is that I have really learned in these past two years. Maybe I can piece it together and share it with you in my last email but that will be tough.

It has been a splendid week! Nice and busy preparing those we have been teaching for baptism. We ended up having three baptisms this weekend. Those who were baptized are Sophia Lopez, and Monica and Harrison Mescal. To invite the spirit at the lessons with the Mescal's we often would sing 'I Am a Child of God' so they thought it would be a good idea to have Elder Mayo and myself sing a duet at their baptism! Elder Mayo and I were on splits when this was arranged and obviously I wasn't the one there or that would not have happened. But of course I went ahead with it and gave it my all and it was embarrassing, although my voice has improved. Lots of hymn singing.

Sophia's father is Catholic but not so strong in his faith and it was great to have him at the baptism. He has never clicked to well with missionaries but some how we have been able to get a good relationship with him. I think it may be because he has 300 pairs of Jordan shoes in his basement... literally ever pair of Jordan's you can think of! He has only met with us once and shrugged off any other attempts we have made to teach him, but it will happen in the future. He was touched at her confirmation during sacrament meeting when Sophia walked over to him immediately following the ordinance and gave him a solid minute long hug.

Currently we have four progressing investigators and are searching hard for more people to teach, I cannot leave Elder Mayo with nothing to work with! We had one of our most legit investigators, Kayley Lucero, move out of our area. She just happened to tell us at the lesson she finally accepted a baptismal date in February! Her husband, Landin, and herself are newly weds which made it so fun to teach them, I will miss them. It was saddening but the Elders in the Salt Lake City mission will do a find job helping her follow through with her commitment. We also had another investigator drop us due to no desire and some serious hick ups and another family, our favorite family! But they are doing well and back on track now.

Elder Mayo is learning the ropes and will be ready to train, I hope he gets called on to do so. When he feels he didn't teach so well or makes a small slip up he keeps saying, "I am not in missionary mode yet, I don't feel like a missionary yet" I respond by telling him, "You are and keep your focus .... The spirit makes up for your weaknesses if you just give it your best" We have been focusing on the well known scripture found in Matthew chapter 10, verse 27. I don't recall struggling with that what he feels. I remember feeling what I felt as hands were laid on my head and I was set apart, "I am a missionary!" It felt real! Then as I walked into the doors of the MTC it was given to me and since then I have been running! I am grateful for who the Lord has helped me become and all that He has taught me. I will keep running until hands are placed on my head once again but this time to release me. Even after the mission, I plan serving Him until the end. 

Love, Elder Blake Pizzey

1 comment:

  1. It was great to meet you last year. You have been a great missionary in the Utah Salt Lake mission. Keep up the good work and never give up.

    ReplyDelete